RE: Partitioning a Web Server

um....compaq dl320s for 1 wont do it. Look at some bioses, i would be
pleased if you could point me at some machines that can, ive not found one
yet. Maybe you should actually try it? have you? so far Ive not found a box
that can boot off a different hd reliably if at all, Ive spent time on this
as ide disks are obviosly cheaper than scsi, my conclusion was dont do it.

Have you tested this on the Dell? sounds scsi, might be possible if the
second device which was sdb now becomes sda, my original comments were
aimaed at ide.

Of the two machines with bioses that allowed alternative devices it would
not boot. It would take alterations to grub or lilo, from a maintenance
point of view its a non-starter.

re, setting up lilo, this means on your 2 disks there is a seperate mbr
setup etc...never seen a doc on this, if we are talking doing it each time
we update the kernel its beginning to get messy and time consuming, its
certainly not standard as far as I am aware. A hardware raid card is a way
more reliable solution as its simpler.

As for testing the /var issue you suggest, I would need to come up with a
test that covers all eventualities, rather difficult to guarantee, way
better to assume the worst and plan accordingly.

regards

Steven