Re: dist-upgrade on remote server

Hello Andreas

It should be possible.  I upgraded a number machines from slink to
potato - remotely but I  have not started on remote potato to woody
upgrades yet.  If helps if you have practised on a local machine.

I suggest you take a few precautions:

-   use apt-get -d  to download everything you need before you
    start.

-   open 3 or more ssh sessions.  Setup a ping in the spare
    sessions.  Then if you loose your main one, the others should
    still be open to give you a "back door".  This can save you if
    something crashes during the setup of the new ssh.

-   use "script" or something similar to keep a record of the screen
    dump.  Then if you miss a warning or error you can go back and
    read it.

-   be vary careful before you do anything that changes ipchains
    rules.

-   be vary careful before you re-boot the machine.

Let me know how it goes.  Good Luck.

Ian