Re: Apologies from TrafficWoW

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 22:28, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 11:26:45AM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> > I believe that the above is a lie.
> >
> > They operate a web page (linked from the reference above) to check the
> > subscription status of a domain.  The page in question tells me that
> > no-one has subscribed to their lists from hotmail.com, msn.com, ibm.net,
> > home.com, aol.com, zonnet.nl, and bigpond.com.au.  The idea that a
> > company could run hundreds of thousands of adverts and never come in
> > contact with anyone who uses any of those major mail servers (totalling
> > >50M accounts and >20M people) is simply ridiculous.
>
> Also, according to their web page, the domains:
>     .uk
>     .com
>     .org
>     .net
> are not present on their mailing lists. (yes, I know that they are
> top-level domains. But that's what they say!).
>
> To be fair though, somebody may have removed (=emptied?) their mailing
> lists before I queried on their web page...

To be fair, it would make sense for them to require you to enter everything
on the right of the '@' character for the domain name.  Allowing someone to
unsubscribe all their customers in 5 easy steps would not make sense!  So for
their web page to do what it purports to do it should ask that you put in
"ic24.co.uk" to match the address user@ic24.co.uk instead of just putting in
"uk".

Actually the other domains ibm.net, home.com, etc were incidental.  No-one
can do anything serious on the net without dealing with hotmail.  If you
don't have lots of email correspondance with people who use hotmail accounts
then you really don't do much on the net.

But as you'll see from my other message, I am now going to receive proof of
the marketting claims by TrafficWow.  I am totally confidant that they are a
reputable company and will substantiate all their claims publically in this
forum using data from third-party advertising analysts.  I am also confidant
that they will correct the omission of sending unsigned email and sign off
future email with the name of the person who writes it as well as giving
their position in the company.

After this issue has been resolved by TrafficWow representatives addressing
all these issues to the satisfaction of both you and I, then I believe that
the nasty spammers (of whom TrafficWow is certainly not one) will avoid the
Debian mailing lists when they see the sort of flames that a totally innocent
company can get from posting here purely by accident.

Russell Coker