Re: Hanging run-parts weirdness!!!

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Noel Koethe wrote:

> > > I have no idea what the problem is.
> > > Maybe its a good idea to report this bug to the "debianutils"
> > > package where run-parts belong to.
> >
> > No, that's wrong because run-parts is working fine, but mandb is the
> > program which is hanging around in defunctional status. So this bug
> > should be reported against mandb. But please look before into the
> > cronjob in /etc/cron.daily that is calling mandb and try running the
> > exact command manual to see if it works or if that one hangs too.
>
> :) No. The initial mail show many hanging jobs from cron.daily and
> not always man.db. I tried all the cron.daily scripts many times
> by hand and this never happened.
> Sergey wrote now the same problems (http://lists.debian.org/debian-isp/2001/debian-isp-200110/msg00078.html)
> and I think this could be a run-parts problem.

seems that cron isn't reaping its children correctly. I noticed this
problem on a machine that I had moved to woody from potato. Kill off cron,
and the zombies go away. There was a cron update a few days ago that seems
to have lessened the problem to a certain extent. It's still a pain, tho.
=)

Brian
fade@etc.etc.etc.

"You can't depend on your judgement when your imagination
is out of focus."			-- Mark Twain