Re: Huge Email Service

... think about a solution whitout NFS (cause "it's quite unforgiving").

the proxy concept takes advantage of the semi/quasi atomic POP3
operations and it performs faster then NFS does.
the POP3 client has to ask for any single message to fetch - imagine the
POP server crashes right at that moment - then the proxy allready has
transfered some messages successfully and can give a message like "no
new mails" or "system unavailable" whitout any harm to the mails that
can be fetched later.
this system relys on MailDir format.

Florian

Russell Coker wrote:
> Also you have to make sure that mail delivery and POP locking is in the same
> place.
> If you get it wrong then mbox format is quite unforgiving of NFS problems.
> I recommend using Maildir storage for any serious mail server as it is
> much more NFS friendly.

  edv - multimedia - service    http://www.net-operations.de
              Florian Kunkel    F.Kunkel@net-operations.de
           Kattreinstraße 38    Tel:+49 6151-367033
           D-64295 Darmstadt    Fax:+49 6151-367034