Re: Robustness

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Kevin Blackham wrote:
>We just went through a whole bunch of insanity trying to improve the
>performance of our mail server... If you need 72GB of mail storage for pop
>boxes and spool, a single set of spindles for RAID-1, would not be the best
>idea.  The bottleneck in our former server was the relentless mail-checking
>habits of our customers being processed by a single spindle (even though it
>was a Barracuda).  It just simply could not handle all the random transactions
>fast enough.

My idea was 72G for mail, OS, lots of old log files, and all the other junk
that most people end up with on their servers.  Some people like to keep
copies of all old mail, or things like that which really eat disk space but
not necessarily performance.  RAID-1 means that you get two spindles.  If the
bottleneck is really just reading then RAID-1 with 3 disks should give quite
good performance.

--
Electronic information tampers with your soul.