Re: 6to4 tunnel trouble

Martin List-Petersen wrote:
[..]
> your switches are layer2, tcp/ip (be it v4 or v6) goes on top of that
> and your switches wouldn't know the difference.

Unfortunately that is not really the case. Especially when it comes to
handling multicast there are certain (not many though) switches that do
not properly handle multicast, as such all IPv6 Neighbor Discovery goes
bad. Sometimes it does work at one point and then fails at another. This
happened to several 'expensive' switches and also to cheap ones.

Generally putting an interface in PROMISC handles the problem partially,
but that is something one wants to avoid of course.

On linux, 'ip -6 nei sho' can generally show if ND failed or not and of
course tcpdump helps, though don't forget to pass it -p otherwise it
will go promisc and that would enable that it works (great for people
who tried to debug it btw "now it works if I use tcpdump" ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen