Re: How to disable ipv6 in Lenny to avoid 1.0.0.0 in name resolution for AAAA type queries?

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 08:21:13PM +0530, Amogh Hooshdar wrote:
> After rebooting, I checked: lsmod | grep ipv6. Sure enough it is gone
> and the command gives nil output. But when I use bitchx or pidgin to
> connect to irc.freenode.net, I can still see DNS AAAA irc.freenode.net
> type of queries.As a result our DNS server that can't handle
> ipv6 returns 1.0.0.0 as the address and the clients don't work.

This is done by the glibc and can't be disabled. Fix your dns server.
What piece of crap is that anyway which returns such data? A dns server
have to return proper errors if it is not able to handle specific

> (1) First I tried making these changes /etc/modprobe.d/aliases - Result:
> problem persists (Yes, I did reboot after the changes)

This only changes the module loading. So you don't find the ipv6 module
loaded.

> I have succeeded to make Iceweasel work by setting
> network.dns.disableIPv6=true in about:config. But I need a OS-wide
> solution so that all my network apps do not send ipv6 DNS AAAA type
> requests and they work successfully.

Use an external dns if your own is broken.

Bastian

--
It would seem that evil retreats when forcibly confronted.
		-- Yarnek of Excalbia, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.5