Re: why we using hoplimit for ND -255 /why not 1

Satyanarayana Reddy M wrote:
>  Hi,
>   this is satyanarayana ,
>
>  I am in ipv6 devolpment team,i have a doubt in ipv6 regarding of hop limit
> as 255 why not 1?

Because when you receive a ND packet with a hopcount != 255 you know for
sure that the packet has been routed over one hop, while ND packets
should only be on the same link.

If ND packets would be checked for being eg 1, I could set the hopcount
to 5 when I am 4 hops away and successfully send you Router
Advertisements and other things, would not be good would it :)

Folks doing BGP are also starting to do this for the anti-spoofing
effect that it has.

See the RFC's or one of various good books on this.

Greets,
 Jeroen