Re: How to use DNSmasq as Ipv6 DNS and DHCP server ?

Dear Le Mercredi:

I have put Ipv6 address in /etc/hosts file for DNS
resolution. It worked for DNS resolution with DNSmasq.

I got reply on ping6  but it will only reply the host
name not the IPv6 address. ( may be some config is
missing which no one know)

Besides, the radvd will allocate the Global address to
all hosts automatically.

But radvd is a advertise router which are not doing
DHCP server jobs (i.e. assign other network
information to the hosts : DNS server , Default
Gateway, dynamic update Ip address on DNS ...etc).

DNSmasq is doing a good job on Ipv4 as light weight
DNS and DHCP server for small network.

If it supports Ipv6 , it should be able to do the same
things as Ipv4 ( I think which may not true) . But
there are no document regarding to configure DNSmasq
for IPv6 even on the DNSmasq website and mailing list
archive.

May be I am the first guy to use it for Ipv6 testing
network.

It is interesting to me because I do not want to
config Bind9 and DHCP6 server which are not a simple
task for a small Ipv6 testing network.

Other reason is that I do not see any ipv6  DHCP
server  in Debian Sarge package list (i.e. DHCP6).
DNSmasq may be another alternative.

comments please ;

K. M. Lau

--- rdenis-debian-ipv6@simphalempin.com 說:

> Le Mercredi 2 Novembre 2005 10:07,
> kmlhk79-ipv6@yahoo.com.hk a 矇crit :
> > For example , How to use DNSmasq to assign Ipv6
> > address  to Ipv6 host ?
>
> I've not tried, but I think you have to put these
> (IPv6) addresses in
> your /etc/hosts file for DNS resolution. As for
> configuration, I
> believe you have to run a separate radvd anyway.
>
> --
> R矇mi Denis-Courmont
> http://www.simphalempin.com/home/

 想即時收到新 email 通知?