Re: Ipv6 DNS and ipv4 host - Tranistion problem

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 10:05:01PM +0800, kmlhk79-ipv6@yahoo.com.hk wrote:
> Dear Mattias :
>
> Yes, I understand Dual stack will be one of the
> alternative . Debian Sarge already come with dual
> stack  support.
>
> But in the network administration point of view,if you
> are going to transit to Ipv6, you will not want to
> keep dual stack running in your network.
>
> Running dual stack , it will :
>
> 1. Increase administration work load. I will said
> triple effort.

It will indeed increase the administration workload, though only
slightly; IPv6 was designed to be far easier to maintain than IPv4. It
will not triple the effort; I'd be surprised if it even doubled it.

A properly configured IPv6 network will not require as much work as is
the case for IPv4.

> 2. Difficult to deal with Security problem on dual
> Stack network.

True.

> 3. The most problem , it increases cost to maintain
> both network. Your Boss will shoot you.
> A quick question will come to you from your Boss, Why
> running Ipv6 if I still need to pay for maintain Ipv4
> network.

Because you
* Need to switch anyway (if the current trends continue, then the
  entirety of the IPv4 address space will have been used by 2020).
* Do not want to switch from IPv4 to IPv6 in just one day, or even in
  just one year; it will take time.

Also, for the entire Internet to switch will take _years_.

IPv6 was designed to make the pain as small as possible, but it will
still be there.

> Therefore dual stack is not the solution for transition.

If you've got a better idea, please let us know.

Note that IPv6 requires a working IPv4 stack to be present in order to
function properly. You can't set up an IPv6 host that cannot be assigned
an IPv4 address. Obviously that doesn't mean you can't set up a host
that has only an IPv6 address, but then that's something entirely
different.

> It is only a easiest way to maintain compatibility
> with IPv4, because you are never transition to Ipv6.
>
> My Transition means Ipv4 network can be cut off in
> some date. In short, only one network ,one protocol,
> one standard after transition.

That's just Not Going To Work. Your IPv6-only hosts will not be able to
reach about 90% of the Internet, currently (the part that's still
IPv4-only).

The day IPv6 can reach about 75% of the net, your plan might be viable.
Between now and then, you're just crazy.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond