Re: Interix Installation Issue

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:22:22 +0200 (CEST)
Martin Koeppe <mkoeppe@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Brian Amundsen wrote:
>
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > I'm getting an odd error after installation now.
> > For some reason when I start either a tcsh or ksh I now get
> >
> > sh: No controlling tty (open /dev/tty: Device not configured)
> > sh: warning: won't have full job control
> > Welcom to Interix Unix utilities
> >
> > I also have warnings in my debootstrap log which indicate a repeated
> > error that no version found at line 2.
> >
> > I'm still in the process of installation and haven't been able to
> > open the /etc/apt/preferences file to PIN the sources references, I
> > keep getting and access denied from the user and Administrator
> > accounts.  I even tried to use vi from within the ksh as
> > Administrator and it didn't work either.
> >
> > Any ideas of how to proceed?
>
> On what version of Windows and Interix do you want to install
> (uname -X)?
>
> What is the error in debootstrap.log? Can you send the log file?
>
> You even can't open /etc/apt/preferences from Windows?
>
> You might try to restore the /dev/* files by running
> /usr/sbin/makedev
>

> Martin

System = Interix
Node = Highcrest
Release = 3.5
Version = SP-8.0.1969.57
Machine = x86
Processor = AMD_x86_Family15_Model14_Stepping10
HostSystem = Windows
HostRelease = SP3
HostVersion = 5.1

debootstrap.log follows:
Can't open /dev/null: Device not configured
Can't open /dev/null: Device not configured
Can't open /dev/null: Device not configured
/tmp/install/debootstrap[439]: cannot create /dev/null: Device not
configured ar: ///: No such device

zcat: stdin: unexpected end of file
dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 2 package
`dpkg': error in Version string `': version string is empty
[...]
Warning: obsolete force/refuse option `auto-select'
[...]

Attempting to run makedev resulted in
$ cd /usr/sbin
$ ksh makedev
makedev[1]: Mze.........: not found
makedev[2]:  syntax error: ....... text' unexpected

It almost looks like I have some corruption.  I did run all this from a
user account ksh but with login as Administrator and verified that I
was the Administrator.

Maybe I'll have to uninstall SFU and start over from scratch.

Thanks, Brian A