Re: Patched ibus version

On 2023-12-14 20:19, Shengjing Zhu wrote:
On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 2:28 AM Eberhard Beilharz <eb1@sil.org>
wrote:
Keyman requires a patched version of ibus to function properly in
all cases. The unpatched ibus version doesn't always output
characters in the correct sequence if the ibus engine uses
backspace to delete a character. This is the case with apps that
don't support surrounding text, like Chromium, and for engines that
can't use pre-edits, like Keyman.

This bug is documented in ibus bug #2539 and a suggested fix is in
PR #2440. However, the upstream maintainer won't accept the fix
because he doesn't see the need for it nor does he have a different
solution (other than suggesting to rewrite Keyman and use
pre-edits, which is not possible for the languages that Keyman
supports).

Would it be possible to include the patch in the Debian package? In
that case I'd create a Debian issue and attach the patch.

Otherwise I would create a new package that is compatible with ibus
but contains the fix.

Ibus issue: https://github.com/ibus/ibus/issues/2539

IMO it's too early to ask downstream to decide the choice. The last
comment from upstream is 2 weeks ago and no further response from
you. Could you be more patient with upstream to elaborate your
problem?

I can agree that you ask a bit prematurely. One idea is that you ask Mike Fabian to look at it. He maintains e.g. ibus-m17n and ibus-typing-booster, and should be aware of the special needs of Asian scripts.

With that said, as long as it's just an opt-in, and you can guarantee that it does not affect other engines by default, I suppose we can carry a Debian patch as a last resort.

--
Gunnar