Re: A various input methods are not provided for zh_TW users

Hi,

在 2023-09-08星期五的 20:41 +0530,Andrew Lee写道:
> Dear all,
>
> I am currently at DebConf. We have users from Taiwan discovered that, under zh_Tw locale installation, the default input method framework Fcitx only contains chewing for
> traditional Chinese. All other Chinese input methods include 倉頡 will only results in simplified Chinese.
>
> Does anyone know if Fcitx may support all the input methods for Taiwanese users? If it’s not, we probably should consider switch back to scim or something else eg: gcin,
> hime that supports a various Taiwanese input methods, eg: 行列、無蝦米、倉頡、大易….etc? Any suggestions?
>
> And also the Taiwanese keyboard layout from xkb-data isn’t available for selecting while installation. Alper is trying to add that in D-I for future release.
>
> Best regards from India,

Thanks for the info. I also talked with the current fcitx upstream author just
now, and here are some hints:

* When we are talking about fcitx, we are talking about fcitx5 by default. The
fcitx4 series is in heavy maintenance mode and unlikely to be updated anymore.

* Fcitx4 already provided many table-based input methods for zh_TW users, see
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/fcitx-table-extra . I don't know whether they
are enough for zh_TW users.

* For fcitx5, the corresponding package is currently stuck in the NEW queue:
https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/fcitx5-table-extra_5.1.0-1.html .
Since you are now at debconf, is there any $offline methods that can accelerate
its clearing over the NEW queue? It has been a problem for quite a while.

* If there are any zh_TW input methods for fcitx5 floating around the internet
but missing in Debian and people need them, please don't hesitate to let all of
us know. We can do the packaging. Currently I am not aware of any of them.
Same rule applies to IBus or any other input method framework.

* Please consult more zh_TW users on the potential switch of the default
input method framework. I believe Wayland support would be a headache.
However, I have no knowledge about Wayland support status for other IM
frameworks except for ibus/fcitx5.

Thanks,
Boyuan Yang