Re: im-config | Use im-config on Wayland without uninstalling IBus (!5)

Hello, Osamu

Thanks for telling the history and design.

A few bit-off-topic notes:

2020년 5월 23일 (토) 오후 12:52, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>님이 작성:

> Currently, we are assuming "Wayland" environment is always "GNOME
> Wayland".  We also need to pay attention to KDE side.

In practice only GNOME Wayland matters. Most other compositors
including KDE kwin don't implement IM support via Wayland protocols
(unless it changed in recent months) and apps still need *_IM_MODULES
settings. So other Wayland compositors can just use the same defaults
as X11, except "xim".

Another compositor supporting IM via Wayland is Weston (the only
compositor implementing standard "input-method" protocol AFAIK). But
Weston is the reference implementation so users do not likely run
im-config for their Weston session.

> > im-config(8) clearly states that it sets the environment variables:
> >
> >     The im-config hook script, /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70im-
> > config_launch,
> >     exports following variables to X programs: $XMODIFIERS,
> >     $GTK_IM_MODULE, $QT_IM_MODULE, $QT4_IM_MODULE, and
> >     $CLUTTER_IM_MODULE
>
> Please don't put too much value to what I wrote.  Let's think what is
> the cleanest and best configuration system and update documentation
> accordingly.

Agreed. Anyway current doc is X11 specific and needs updates.

--
Changwoo Ryu