Re: Pseudo-newbie installation query

Tim Cutts <tjrc@sanger.ac.uk> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:58:25AM +0000, Tim Cutts wrote:
>> A second query - I don't have a keyboard and monitor attached to this
>> machine - I'm looking at EFI through the management card's console port.
>> What device does Linux call this when it boots, since obviously I need
>> to supply a suitable console= parameter to elilo (I've tried installing
>> red hat, and the following happens:
>>

>> fs0:\> elilo linux text console=/dev/ttyS0
>
> D'oh - answered my own question.  Just console=ttyS0...

Correct.

The CD booklet that is included with the HP Enablement Kit for Linux CD that
ships with newer HP Itanium 2 systems that are ordered for Linux use talks
about setting up serial consoles.

The "trick" is that if you have exactly one serial port enabled as a console
path in the EFI boot manager, regardless of whether you also have a VGA path
enabled or not, that serial port should show up as ttyS0 to the kernel.  If
you have more than one serial port enabled as a console path in the boot
manager, the results are "undefined"...

Bdale