kernel panic on i2000 when configuring network

Hi,

I have tried to install Debian 3.0 on my i2000 using ia64-net-20020506.iso.

The system has bios version 117c, which is tested according to the debian web page.

Nevertheless the install hangs on configuring the network.

When I try to set the ip address later using ifconfig :

ifconfig eth0 130.89.67.208
Kernel panic: map_single: could not allocate software IO TLB ( 1552 bytes )

Does anyone know what's wrong here?
I should also mention that on boot time the network card is detected as an 82557, while the manual that came with the system claims there is an 82559 installed.

Any help is highly appreciated!!

Nico

--
Nico van Vliet
Mechanics of Forming Group, University of Twente