Re: A few hints to translators sending translations as bug reports

Hi everyone :)

Sorry I couldn't answer this sooner.

On 19/03/2008, at 4:34 PM, Christian Perrier wrote:
Here are a few comments I made for some of you in private already, but
could deserve to be sent in public.

When you send a translation update (which hopefully you do with the
"reportbug" utility if you're using a Debian system), think about:

- sending the translation file as <code>.po where <code> is your
 language code.

 In the past, a common practice was gzipping files...not really to
 save out space but more to guarantee that no bad things will happen
 to the file's encoding. This is not really useful anymore

 Why do that? Because the file will be used as <code>.po by
 maintainers and they will only have to drop out your file in the
 right directory instead of running "gzip -d" on it or rename that
 funky foo-bar_debian_po_<code>.po file to <code>.po.... Believe me,
 when you have to do this dozen of times for a translation update,
 this is really painful..:-)

I can understand that. However, I was under the impression that some mail/transfer processes, especially if the software isn't running in UTF-8, can still munge an unzipped file. This certainly happened to some of my translations in the past. (I don't remember which projects were involved, sorry.)

Can we really just send translated files in the clear? It would, indeed, be helpful to remove that extra step in every submission, but I want to be sure some unfortunate users don't end up with string apparently translated into dingbats.

- use DEBFULLNAME and DEBEMAIL variables in your .profile file

 That will allow your bug reports to come from someone who looks like
 a real person and not only a mail address. These variables are
 indeed used by many Debian utilities and developer tools.

Would it be helpful for non-Debian users to include these in submission mail templates?

If so, where should they go? I'm assuming the first variable is your full name and the second your email address. I already include the first in my template, and the second is the From address. But I'm happy to adjust things to suit. ;)

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n