Re: bug-reporting for non-English users

Thanks for your response, Frans.

On 29/04/2005, at 8:05 PM, Frans Pop wrote:

That would still give a maintainer extra work. Also, the working language
for Debian _is_ English for all general lists and for the BTS.

Also, a bug submitter should _always_ first check if a bug has already
been submitted or not, which would not be possible for people that do not
speak English.

Yes, that's a good point. It makes it difficult for any non-English user to keep up with current information.

I would suggest that supporting people who don't speak/write English is
the responsibility of the Vietnamese user community. The obvious thing to do is to set up a Vietnamese Debian user mailing list and encourage users
to present their problems there.
"The community" could then check if a bug has already been filed and help
with filing the bug and dealing with follow-up questions.

I don't know how this works for you, but people come and go a lot. That's where an updatable page with the current mailing list / forum / channel could be kept, as part of the Debian central site, looks like a more useful option. It's sometimes difficult to anticipate what direction new users are likely to take, but as long as they see some contact info somewhere, it should help. It's important that such information survives migration of key people ... I'm not sure how that could be done.

from Clytie (vi-VN, team/nhóm Gnome-vi)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc