Re: Aptitude being cryptic

Thankyou for your reply, Daniel. :)

On 26/04/2005, at 3:06 AM, Daniel Burrows wrote:

src/pkg_columnizer.cc:486
"HN too long"

HN in this case being...?

  As with a lot of the more cryptic errors, this one is generated in
circumstances that shouldn't occur: it means that your hostname is more than
255 characters long.

I've encountered this situation before. If a string is very seldom used, developers see it as less important, because they have all the context necessary to make such a judgement. If we have no developer comments to supply such context, each and every string has equal priority. This can result in us spending a lot of time and effort on strings which may never been seen by the user.

This is why developer comments to translators are such a good idea, and very much appreciated by us. :)

I'd also like to check the size of the column headers (cc:353, 353,
357, 359, 361):

Imp, Req, Std, Opt, Xtr

which I've translated in extremely abbreviated fashion as:

Imperative, Required, Suggested, Optional and Extra

Those are the Debian package priorities: Important, Required, Standard, Optional, and Extra. dselect uses the same abbreviations, so you might be
able to lift a translation from it.

Unlikely, as we're breaking new ground here in Vietnamese computing localization. A nice thought, though... I dream of current and varying glossaries, such as other languages have, and more than three active translators world-wide.

from Clytie (vi-VN, team/nhóm Gnome-vi)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc