Re: Where are translated man pages packaged?

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 09:40:29AM +0200, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
> Denis Barbier wrote:
>
> > There is currently no consensus whether translated man
> > pages should be shipped along with original man pages or
> > within manpages-xx packages.
>
> Personally, I would prefer that translations (of both
> man-pages and user-interface) were shipped in separate
> packages on a per package and per language basis.  In other
> words, like there are different packages for different
> platforms (with the machine specific files), there should be
> different packages for different locales (with the language
> specific files).
>
> So my preference is to move the language specific files out
> of the application packages, but not to just dump them in
> big catch-all language specific packages.
>
> Jacob
>
> PS: I know that I (or somebody else), would have to hack
>     dpkg and/or apt, to get the above suggestion to work.
>     (but I hope it is okay to dream)

In a perfect world, I would agree with you. But right now, doing so would
lead to a database explosion which is not acceptable. As long as dpkg isn't
patched, the two only solutions are to put translated manpages within the
binary packages, or in a catch-all package.

That's very sad, but I think database explosion is a bad thing, and we
cannot put this burden on the whole Debian community.

So, I guess we have to search for a good solution *in the current situation*.

That's very sad, but as long as I (or somebody else) do not implement what
is needed in dpkg, I do not feel the right to whine about that (but
stating seem ok :)

Bye, Mt.

--
Each language has its purpose, however humble.  Each language expresses the
Yin and Yang of software.  Each language has its place within the Tao.