Re: hppa release status

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 07:25:17PM +0200, Thibaut VARENE wrote:

> On 6/17/2008, "Domenico Andreoli" <cavok@dandreoli.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 05:03:59PM +0200, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
> >>
> >> Yet that doesn't change anything to the fact that the port is nowadays
> >> clearly lacking manpower. The very few people actually doing work on the
> >> port have unfortunately less and less time on their hands (I for one can
> >> just keep up with my own chores, not much more), and we have no "fresh
> >> blood" coming in to contribute. *That* is a problem...
> >
> >My idea of the problem is that PA-RISC is a dead architecture. Why "fresh
> >blood" should invest on a dead horse? I would be glad to help but I need
> >to invest more and more time for what? Maybe the glory to have helped
> >PA-RISC live another couple of years and maybe a release cycle?  Really?
>
> I don't blame you for saying that, but it seemed to me that Debian
> (contrary to some other well known derivative) wasn't focusing only on
> "lively" architectures and allowed "dead" ones to get a second life.
> And it's not as if PA-RISC machines had only the horsepower of some
> high end m68k box... ;P

I never said Debian should drop hppa because of this. If these conditions
had happened, say, 5 years ago I would have surely taken the opportunity.
I would be very happy to have the spare time but I have not and I have
to choose. PA-RISC has not a future, it has only present now.

> Anyway, I'm afraid you're just stating a general feeling.

I rarely am right :)

cheers,
Domenico

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://www.dandreoli.com/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50