Re: XWindows on hp b180l

On Tue, 06 Aug 2002 18:20:42 +0200 Juergen Braukmann <juergen.braukmann@ruhr-west.de> wrote: 8-§  > Thomas Schmitz schrieb:
8-§  > >
8-§  > > Hi all,
8-§  > > Perhaps a newbe question, but is XWindows operational on the hp B180L
8-§  > > hardware? If so, does anybody have information how to configure it?
8-§  > >
8-§  >
It must work since I was able to install X on an old HP9000/710 apollo and it works pretty fine with the framebuffer, a HP proprietary monitor 1280x1024 8bpp. Also I could set up HIL keyboard and mouse, but it is not your case.
Install fbset pkg, install a kernel (maybe recompiled with the latest parisc patch, I think pa59) just to be sure that all your H/W is well supported, enable framebuffer (from /boot/config-2.x.x file) run dmesg |grep fb to find what fb you have got installed on your system, then edit approprately your /etc/X11/XF86Cinfig file. Remember: check if in your xserver-xfree86.conf there is the lines:

  hppa)
    DRIVER_LIST="fbdev"
  ;;

otherwise add in the right place. There is a patch to do it, but I simply do it manually. ...
It must work!!!

linuxabbestia

<<Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are!>>