Re: HP9000/898 - linux

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Z=E1k=E1ny_Gergely?= wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> We have this hardware around, which currently runs a big intranet
> opensource ftp mirror, such as full debian mirror.
>
> This is an HP
> HP9000/898, 2.0 PA8000 CPU

What's the"model" command output?
Or better, could add your machine to the HW DB at:
	http://www.parisc-linux.org/hardware/index.html

(I don't know off-hand what an 898 is).
If that's a T600, you are hosed.

> SCSI: HP28696a

This is the HP-PB FWD SCSI card (aka wizard). This is definitely
not support (atm), no docs have been released for it and probably
won't in the near future.

If you can replace this with a GSC interface (ie add another GSC
SCSI and connect to that) it *might work in the future*.

> Built in SCSI GSC FastWide and LAN adapter
> Segate HDs, MUX converter, PCI bus bridge GSC to PCI
> 2 PCI LAN cards PCI(1011009)

You might look inside your box.  None of the 89x servers had PCI.
That's more likely a 2-port 100BT GSC card which has a "card-mode" Dino
(aka GSCtoPCI).

> 1 DVD ROM
>
> It is connected to external SCSI disc array. (130 GB)
>
> We are thinking of turning it to linux/debian.
> How is it possible?
> Does linux run on this ?
> Can it handle all the hw we use?

Depends totally on which box the 898 really is.
Read what the HW DB page has to say and you'll know alot more.

grant

Grant Grundler
parisc-linux {PCI|IOMMU|SMP} hacker
+1.408.447.7253