Re: seeking review of pat v0.15.0-1

On Sun, Jul 09, 2023 at 04:16:08PM -0700, tony mancill wrote:
> Hello Federico,
>
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2023 at 03:44:19PM -0400, Federico Grau wrote:
> > I've updated the `pat' Debian package to v0.15.0 and pushed to salsa.d.o git.
> > Upstream changes since v0.13.1 include improvements to VARA and AX25 (AGWPE).
> While testing the package, I noticed a couple of minor issues.
>
> 1)  The binary package installs a manpage for pat-winlink-configure, but
> there is no binary with that name in the package.  Perhaps this moved in
> this new version?  I am able to edit my configuration with "pat-winlink
> configure" (that is, using the default binary with the verb "configure".
>
> 2)  The manpages for pat-winlink and for pat-winlink-configure refer to
> /home/USER/.wl2k/config.json, which is the legacyDataDir according to
> the sources (see internal/directories/directories.go).  I believe the
> correct path ~/.config/pat/config.json.  That's where my configuration
> file exists.
>
> Otherwise, the packaging looks good and the software works fine.  I
> tested it in telnet mode and also exercised the http UI.
>
> Cheers,
> tony

Many thanks again for your feedback tony,

Pardon my delays as I was addressing some RL items.  Below are some attempted
IRC (OFTC, donfede, UTC -4).

1) The two man pages included with the `pat' Debian package follow the two
pages provided by upstream, with the binary name "pat" replaced with
"pat-winlink" per Debian bug #994822 (and
d/patches/04-update_man_pages_for_renamed_binary_994822.patch circa 2021-Nov).

The second man page "pat-configure" or "pat-winlink-configure", as you noted,
provides information on the default binary and functionality using the verb or
argument "configure".  This is similar to man pages like "git help" /
"git-help".

I'm not clear what change if any is needed here, but subjectively I might
leave things the way they are given upstream and other similar man page
examples (though of course constructive dialog and direction is welcome).

    $ git remote -v
    origin  https://github.com/la5nta/pat (fetch)
    origin  https://github.com/la5nta/pat (push)
    $ ls -1 man/
    pat.1
    pat-configure.1
    $

2) Thanks for the good eyes.  I've refreshed
d/patches/04-update_man_pages_for_renamed_binary_994822.patch to use the
updated configuration file locations documented by upstream.

Standing by for next steps as cycles are available.

regards,
donfede