soundcard packet

Thanks to those that offered advice on overcoming the permissions trouble I was experiencing. I have moved on from that (using the sudo technique) and can now almost complete a connection to my local BBS.
Unfortunately I can transmit packets and not decode replies.
or alternatively decode packets but then when I transmit packets the receive decode stops, occasionally I can see the decoded packet using "listen -a -p sm0" but not on my linpac terminal.

The following conditions exist
/etc/ax25/axports
sm0   vk4akm-8     38400 255 2 test (1200bps)

/etc/ax25/ax25d.conf
[vk4akm-8 VIA sm0]
NOCALL * * * * * * L
default         * * * * * * -root  /usr/sbin/soundmodem   soundmodem
#
[vk4akm VIA sm0]
NOCALL * * * * * * L
default         * * * * * * -root  /usr/sbin/soundmodem   soundmodem

my start up script is:-
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/soundmodem /etc/ax25/soundmodem.conf -R -M /dev/null 2>/dev/null&
sleep 1
/sbin/route add -host 44.136.149.9 dev sm0
sleep 1
/usr/sbin/ax25d
sleep 1
/usr/sbin/mheardd

the relevant part of /etc/ax25/soundmodem.conf contains:-
pkt mode = "mkiss"
ifname = "sm0"
hwaddr = "vk4akm-8"
ip = "44.136.149.11"
netmask = "255.255.255.0"
broadcast = "44.136.149.255"
file = "/dev/soundmodem0"
unlink = "1"

After rebooting the system, I set the volume controls using the Gnome Volume Control routine.
sudo doham (the start script) to start the soundmodem and then
sudo linpac to start the terminal program

I am confused about callsigns and ports so I assume the problem lies there and have made several changes but have not been able to correlate the results with what I have done.

Any ideas please.

Ken