Re: Debian, psk31 & ac97 audio

On Saturday 19 October 2002 17:59, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
> Jay, are you sure that nothing else is using the audio device?  Try lsof
> /dev/dsp1 or whatever's the right device name (I think that's right
> command) to see if something else owns the file.  I've seen similar errors
> when the artsd sound daemon in KDE is active.
>
> 73,
> John
>
> --On Saturday, October 19, 2002 17:27:55 -0700 Jaye Inabnit ke6sls
>
> <ke6sls@cox.net> wrote:
> > Greetings:
> >
> > I am stumped as to why none of the Debian psk31 programs will run on my
> > 850MHz laptop.  I am testing twpsk and if I click on the send icon, my
> > terminal reports:
> >
> > tx: partial write (128/256)...
> > tx error:: Resource temporarily unavailable
> > tx: partial write (128/256)...
> > tx error:: Resource temporarily unavailable
> >
> > This is what I get running G-psk31:
> > jaye@ByrdsPortable:~$ gpsk31
> > Using full duplex mode!
> >
> > Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
> >
> > There are errors for every psk31 program that is installable for Woody.
> > To  get my sound card working, I had to install the via82cxxx_audio which
> > in turn  installs the ac97_codec which installs the soundcore module.  I
> > can not  remove the ac97_codec.  Other programs use the sound card and it
> > functions  well in playback mode.  Another thing is that lspci reports
> > this device as: Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97
> > Audio Controller  (rev 40)
> >
> > It am not sure if this card will fully function under Linux.  Any info is
> > much appreciated.

John:

I own /dev/dsp when I am using xmms (reported by lsof).  When I am running
twpsk, it shows no one having /dev/dsp, even though I hear noise (note--not
psk31 signal) comming out of the speakers.

Also, I am running blackbox so artsd doesn't get started.  I should have
pointed that out in my prior post.

Thanks for the tips.  Hopefully something will turn up.

73

--
Jaye Inabnit/\ARS ke6sls/\A Debian Gnu/Linux user
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.