Re: AX.25 & drivers in the standard kernel package

On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 08:13:25AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 11:26:39PM +0200, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> > Just checked kernel 2.2.10 in base:
>
> Wow, that's great! Most of the stuff is there already.
>
> > CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM=m
> > # CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_SBC is not set
> > # CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_WSS is not set
> > # CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_AFSK1200 is not set
> > # CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_AFSK2400_7 is not set
> > # CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_AFSK2400_8 is not set
> > # CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_AFSK2666 is not set
> > # CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_HAPN4800 is not set
> > # CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_PSK4800 is not set
> > # CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM_FSK9600 is not set
>
> soundmodem with no modulation or drivers is not so useful, but
> that could be fixed easily enough.

Lest my previous comment be misinterpreted, my prejudice against modules
came from a bad Red Hat experience where my sbpcd CD-ROM could not be
correctly detected, causing a completely botched system during an
attempt to upgrade versions (Red Hat unlike Debian uses the rescue disk
for upgrades). In fact, the boot process would often not make it past
the probing for the various CD-ROM drivers, before it even tried the
correct one. The result was worse than any problem I have ever had with
unstable versions of Debian.

The upside of this is that it led me to switch to Debian.

If the probing/detection has improved much over the past three years
(and I expect it has), my objections are probably no longer valid.  I
should really give it a try.

Bob