Re: Gnome session gets stuck

Jérôme Warnier wrote:
I'm using Sid (on 686) up-to-date.

When I login (from GDM), the session takes a loooong time to get
somewhere, or does get completely stuck. It happens before the GNOME
splash screen, and I suspect it could be related to HAL/DBUS or esd.

Any idea?

This could be <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=297937>.

Do you have any non-session aware programs like xset in your gnome session? They can cause the login to hang for ages at gnome-smproxy. Moving them to your .gnomerc file fixes the problem.

You could also try chmod -x /usr/bin/gnome-smproxy. I did this after the Gnome people announced that it would be removed from Gnome 2.12 for general unreliability, and it greatly increased the reliability of session restoration, and decreased the time it took to log in.

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078