Re: Sawfish2: '2' Suffix

>> "JV" == Jochen Voss <jvoss2@web.de> writes:

> Hello Christian,
> we really should have a real GNOME-2 transition plan.

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 08:28:33PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
>> May be sawfish2 will be moved in unstable with the sawfish name.

> What should we do?  Will we upload packages with the 2 suffix to
> unstable or will we not?  At the moment I think that we will have a
> long GNOME-1.4 -> GNOME-2 transition phase.  So we should at least
> consider to have sawfish and sawfish2 in unstable simultaneously.

>     Advantage: the user can choose at which point he switches to
>                GNOME-2.

I agree.

>     Disadvantage: we have to solve the problems which I indicated
>                   in the thread titled "GNOME-2 transition plan".

Really a big problem. I've started to write a reply to the "GNOME-2
transition plan" thread this morning, and I've never finished.

I really don't like how GNOME 2 can be configured and lost
functionalities. Right now I don't have GNOME 2 installed on my
machine for the following reasons :

No more panel menu editing.
No more favorites menu.
The panel isn't dynamically resized.
Sawfish can be configured as I want in 1.4
A lot of applets has been removed.
Some binaries has been removed from gnome-utils.

May be some features above are bugs.

Christian