Re: SemVer.org compatible updates and rebuilding reverse dependencies

On 14/2/24 8:03 AM, Mathias Gibbens wrote:
On Mon, 2024-02-12 at 19:08 +0530, Praveen Arimbrathodiyil wrote:
Do we assume SemVer.org compliance for modules with >= 1.0 versions?

ie, should we assume things will break for every minor updates as
well?

   I've personally found it to be a very mixed bag -- some developers do
try to follow SemVer, while others don't. At best, the version number
can be a hint that there might be breaking changes. I always use `ratt`
to build reverse dependencies in main locally before I upload any
updated golang package.

But isn't this adding too high a barrier on ourselves if every minor update has to be treated like a breaking change ? (we could have an exception list for sensitive or known bad upstreams like grpc).