Re: Add Salsa pipeline to default Go pipeline?

Shengjing Zhu <zhsj@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 11:18 PM Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi.  I read about the Go teams CI/CD pipeline here:
>>
>> https://go-team.pages.debian.net/ci.html
>>
>> There is no mention of the "regular" Salsa pipeline:
>>
>> https://salsa.debian.org/salsa-ci-team/pipeline/
>>
>> I tried searching for earlier discussions but didn't find any.  The
>> salsa pipeline includes many generic Debian packaging QA that the Go
>> team CI/CD pipeline does not test as far as I can tell.
>>
>> What do you think about _adding_ the normal Salsa pipeline to the Go
>> pipeline?
>>
>> Adding it should not conflict with the current "test_the_archive" job.
>> It only means you would get some new jobs in your Salsa pipeline for Go
>> packages, that are run on the normal shared Salsa runner.  The workflow
>> rules may modify when jobs are run, but as far as I can tell, this would
>> fix the current problem of running two jobs whenever you push a tagged
>> commit, and similar issues.
>>
>> How do you all QA test Go packages before uploading them without a Salsa
>> pipeline?  Manually on local developer machine?
>>

> Yes, I need to sign the changes locally, so I build packages locally.

Right, I build locally too before signing uploads.  I was thinking about
the QA process.  Given the number of uploads of newer versions of a go
package that are later reverted due to reverse dependency build issues,
I think some additional pre-upload QA aspect for go packages to catch
these issues would be good.

> I would feel like a waste of compute resources to do generic QA on
> most Go packages, as they are just simple packages from the same
> template. Though some "program" packages are indeed complex and would
> benefit from generic QA.
>
> The old ci was designed to be resource saving. Though the one who
> designed it has left Debian and this project is almost stalled.

Ah, I see.

I don't think the salsa pipeline are a waste of resources for go
packages.  It has helped me catch following bugs that the Go team
pipeline did not catch.  It also tests some logic of
Breaks/Conflicts/Replaces (piuparts) which I don't think the
"test_the_archive" tests.

sigsum-go i386 build failure:
https://salsa.debian.org/jas/sigsum-go/-/jobs/5178882
https://git.glasklar.is/sigsum/core/sigsum-go/-/issues/70

grpc autopkgtest failure (did NOT show up during build phase):
https://salsa.debian.org/jas/golang-google-grpc/-/jobs/5190619

in-toto-golang lintian bug:
https://salsa.debian.org/jas/in-toto-golang/-/jobs/5176215

Anyway, I will experiment more to gain more experience what could be
useful here.

/Simon