A couple of question about packaging policies

Hi,

Just joined the list - I'm not familiar with Go, but I'd like to package
some things and want to make sure I do the right thing.

1. What's the policy for packaging new things? All good as long as ITP
is filled, or should it be first raised on the list?

2. What's the policy for backports? Would an email to the list here
suffice?

More specifically (not sure if it matters), my interest is in Prometheus
and related packages.

thanks!
iustin