Re: Contribution to locales by LENOVO LUX Distribution with South American native languages

Hi,

On 2023-04-12 17:50, Cezar de Oliveira Machado3 wrote:
> To whom it make concern,
>

> My name is Cezar de Oliveira Machado and i'm writing on behalf of LENOVO LUX Distribution to request a contribution to the locales repository.
>

> This Debian-Based distro is being developed in a partneship with IPT – Institute for Technological Research, located ind São Paulo – Brazil.
>

> As a company committed to open-source development, we believe in the importance of collaboration and the sharing of resources. We have been using your locales repository in our distribution and have found it to be an essential tool for our development process.

Thank you for your interest in Debian and for submitting new
translations and locales.

> We would like to contribute to the repository by providing translations from the LENOVO LUX Distribution. Our team of experts is eager to contribute to the project and provide translations for languages that are currently not available in the repository like "Nheengatu"(yrl-BR) and "Kaingang(kgp-BR)", South American native languages.
>

> We understand the value of open-source software and the contributions made by the community, and we would be honored to contribute to the locales repository. We believe that our contribution will not only benefit our distribution but also benefit the community at large.

As you probably already know, the first step before submitting
translations is to have locales that correspond to the Nheengatu and
Kaingang languages. This process is best done directly in the upstream
GNU libc repository. This ensures that locales are consistent across all
GNU/Linux distributions, making it easier to submit translations to
various upstream projects.

> Please let us know if there are any guidelines or instructions that we need to follow to contribute to the repository. We are looking forward to your response and the opportunity to collaborate.

Fortunately, the two languages you propose a locale for, Nheengatu and
Kaingang, already have ISO 639-3 codes (yrl and kgp, respectively) and
are included in CLDR data. You can therefore already begin writing the
corresponding locale files that will end in glibc/localedata/locales.
You can use existing locales as a basis, and the following page may also
be useful:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Locales

After you have created the corresponding files, you can submit them, one
by one, as patches on the libc-alpha mailing list. This is where such
changes are discussed:
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-alpha/

Additionally, you may also choose to open a bug tracker for the issue:
https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/

Once the new locales have been committed to the upstream GNU libc
repository, we can include them in Debian, even before a new upstream
release. However, please note that Bookworm is currently frozen, so this
will only happen once it has been released.

Please don't hesitate to reach out for more details or assistance.

Best regards,
Aurelien

aurelien@aurel32.net                     http://aurel32.net