Re: maintaining rpcsvc-proto / future of rpc in glibc

Hi Josue,

On 2020-08-23 15:49, Josue Ortega wrote:
> Hi Aurelien,
>
> On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 12:13:45PM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > Hi Josue,
> >
> > I am contacting you as the maintainer of libtirpc. As you might be aware
> > rpc support is dropped from glibc starting with version 2.32. libtirpc
> > and rpcsvc-proto [1] are supposed to replace it.
>
> Thanks for the heads up
>
> > rpcsvc-proto is missing in Debian, I have packaged it locally to test
> > how we can handle the transition. I am planning to open a WNPP bug soon.
> > Are you interested to maintain it? Or co-maintain it with the glibc
> > team?
>
> I am OK co-maintaining rpcsvc-proto with the glibc team.

Thanks for your positive answer. I have pushed a preliminary version of
the packaging on salsa [1]. You should have maintainer access to that
project. Please feel free to do some changes if you feel them necessary.
Here is the status:
- So far I have chosen to have a single binary package, while for
  example Fedora is using one package for the headers and one for
  rpcgen. As rpcsvc-proto is Multiarch: foreign, I am not sure it is
  worth having 2 binary packages. But other opinions are welcome.
- I haven't done the ITP yet.
- glibc 2.32 removed support for both nsl and rpc. We have been working
  first on the nsl transition which should be mostly ready by now, just
  sitting in NEW. We should prepare for the rpc transition, but I don't
  think we need to upload it yet to the archive, as the upload need to
  be coordinated with a glibc upload.
- The idea is that when glibc is built without rpc support, the
  libc6-dev package depends on libtirpc-dev and rpcsvc-proto.
- A few weeks ago I have identified packages that do not build once nsl
  and rpc are removed from glibc. Now we need to identify and fix the
  ones that still do not built when using libtirpc-dev and rpcsvc-proto.
  I have already submitted a few patches there [3].

Please also note that Balint Reczey also expressed interest in
co-maintaining this package. Balint, is it still the case? If so, I'll
also give you access to the project on salsa.

Regards,
Aurelien

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/glibc-team/rpcsvc-proto
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=rpc-removal;users=debian-glibc@lists.debian.org