Re: [DebianGIS] Packaging of World Vector Shoreline (WVS) data

Anton wrote:
> During the peer review of my OpenCPN package it was noted
> that it is good to package NOAA World Vector Shoreline
> data separately:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2010/02/msg00115.html
>
> This is the data destributed by NOAA on their web site:
>
> http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/global/relief/ETOPO5/BOUNDARY/WVS/
>
> OpenCPN ships wvs1.dat and wvs43.dat, but on NOAA there
> are also different resolution data also.
>
> As I understand, the best way is to create separate
> package say noaa-wvs-data that is not related to OpenCPN at
> all since the data is not OpenCPN related at all?
>
> And it probably should have different versions like
> noaa-wvs-data-res1, noaa-wvs-data-res43, etc.
>
> Any concerns or suggestions? Alternatively I can package
> them as opencpn-wvs and just place wvs1.dat and wvs43.dat
> there, but probably completely separate way is better,
> is not it?

If I guess correctly, this is the same as the GSHHS dataset? (?)
  http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/pwessel/gshhs/index.html

Wessel, P., and W. H. F. Smith, A Global Self-consistent,
 Hierarchical, High-resolution Shoreline Database, J. Geophys.
 Res., 101, 8741-8743, 1996.

(which can be imported into GRASS & then exported into pretty
much any other vector format using the v.in.gshhs addon module
  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_AddOns#v.in.gshhs
)

also to note, NOAA's venerable Coastline Extractor:
 http://rimmer.ngdc.noaa.gov/
(import Mapgen or Matlab format into GRASS with v.in.mapgen,
but it's just plain text so..)

and finally naturalearth.org also has a series of data layers
(public domain shape files) which may be useful & worthy of
packaging.  http://www.naturalearthdata.com

best,
Hamish