Re: [Pkg-grass-general] draft for a d-d-a message

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 05:04:08PM +1300, Hamish wrote:
> Suggested changes:
>   - the wikipedia link is good for [1] above
>   - I changed GNU/Linux to Free Software. Most of this software is not
>     Linux only, no need for DebianGis to be either.
>

> *Subject: Introducing the DebianGis subproject*
>
> DebianGis is a new sub-project recently launched thanks to the efforts of a
> group of Debian developers and users. The goal of DebianGis is to create a
> Custom Debian Distribution [1] oriented to serious Geographical Information
> Systems (GIS) users and applications [2].
>
> Debian already includes several GIS oriented programs and libraries, thus
> our first aim is to coordinate development efforts. In addition, at this
> stage we wish to collect as much information as possible on users' needs
> and suggestions.
>
> In the future we would broaden the project to include other Earth Observation
> software categories in order to create the first all Free Software [3]
> distribution dedicated to Remote Sensing, Earth Observation, and Geographical
> Information Systems.
>
> Of course, all people interested are invited to join us. We are currently
> using the pkg-grass project site on Alioth [4] to provide a mailing list [5]
> and wiki [6].
>
> Stay tuned, more novelties would come as soon as possible...
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?CustomDebian
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gis
> [3] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
> [4] https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-grass/
> [6] http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

I agree with changes. It will be signed as 'The DebianGis Team'.
If there won't be new amendaments within a couple of days, I'll send
the communicate to d-d-a. I'd send to Debian Weekly News, Debian Planet
and Linux Weekly news something equivalent.

A modified version with an additional brief link to

[0] http://www.debian.org/

could also be sent to GIS-oriented ML lists, removing the GIS link, of
course. Pointers about suitable address are welcome, direct publication
by anyone in this list too.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine