Re: lintian "truetype-font-prohibits-installable-embedding" error should be eliminated

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 3:22 PM Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021, Nathan Willis wrote:
> the next-best option, I wonder if there might be some concern with blanket
> rewriting that entry in the [OS/2] table. For example, I think that might

I agree that this is a definite no-go.

Along those lines, if there _is_ a font with an uninstallability or unembeddability condition in this OS/2 entry, but for which the license statement claims no such restriction, is that considered a contradiction (and, thus, the contradiction would be considered a bug in its own right)?

The easy corner case there might be a font under CC0 / public-domain-declaration.

Norbert, I would be curious if there is any considered opinion on that question from the TeX community, which has surely grappled with embeddability and such for a lengthier period of time (in a non-OFL+RFN context).

Nate
--
nathan.p.willis
nwillis@glyphography.com