Redundant interfaces

Hi all,

I have installed and configured a firewall using woody and the
standard 2.4.18 kernel that comes with it. I am using iptables.

The server has 2 interfaces, and I now have the requirement of setting
it up so that the 2 interfaces have the same IP, so in case one of the
cards, or associated hardware, goes down then the firewall stays
visible.

I think I can see how it would work from the firewall end, but how
does ARP/RARP handle this? The clients have to be able to discard one
MAC address in favour of another. Has anyone done this? Where should I
look for more info?

TIA

--
    __ _   Debian GNU User   Simon Martin
   / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __   Project Manager

"There is no statute of limitations on stupidity."
-- Randomly produced by a computer program called Markov3.
Sig by Kookie Jar 6.1.7 (http://go.to/generalfrenetics/)