Re: ping sendto: operation not permitted

> Um, yes, it's not a cable modem.  :)  It's kind of a phone modem - it uses
> the phone wiring in the apartment complex to connect to a line-of-sight
> transmitter on top of the building to provide high-speed access.  It's not
> the modem.  I saw it work just fine on another computer (a W2K box).

Oh well. I still think it's giving you a funky address, but maybe they
do NAT on it. I'd try the other dhcp clients I mentioned. And I think
maybe it only lets you use one ethernet card, if you had that other
computer hooked up to it before. You could try swapping cards with it,
or using 'ifconfig hw ether aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff' to set your NIC to the
hardware address of the W2k machine's NIC. But that's probably a long
shot.

> I truly suspect it's something I'm doing wrong.  I had thought from the
> previous response that it might be the itpables firewall but I cleared the
> iptables like so:
>
>   iptables clear
>
> and this didn't seem to make any difference.  Any other ideas?

To make sure your iptables is clear enough to test, you can do:

iptables -F
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

I can't think of anything else that might help, unless you can find some
posts on usenet about using similar ISPs with Linux.

  Jason