Re: firewall prerequisite

I'm not sure which of your cards is having problems, but I've had lots
of problems with recent cards using the tulip drivers. Here's how I
get one internal machine working with the tulip driver:

iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.3
    network 192.168.1.0
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    gateway 192.168.1.1
# needed for ADMtek tulip card
    up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 promisc

The card doesn't work properly unless it's in promiscuous mode.

I don't know if that's your problem or not. I'd suggest making sure
the card/driver combinations are working properly before connecting to
the net. You have one known working card talking to your isp. Try
replacing that with your other cards. Once you have two cards that are
working place them in separate boxes and check your internal
networking setup.

Automatic 10/100 setup is sometimes a problem. We had a problem where
two cards connected with a crossover cable wouldn't talk if one
machine was booted first, but would if the other machine was booted
first.

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com
Texas Instruments            bradshaw@ti.com