Re: Newbie Questions Part 2

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 01:34:32PM +0000, Michael Boyd wrote:
> fs
> --
> binfmt_aout (don't know what this is)
Old executable binary format, everything now uses ELF you shouldn't need this.

> smbfs (is this server message block fs?)
Samba Message Block, Windows network, you don't need this.

> vfat (don't think I need this)
Windows FAT32+"friends" filesystem support, you don't need this.

> misc
> ----
> lp (line print so I don't need it? Doesn't install anyway)
You don't need this

> serial (guess I need this)
YUP

> net
> ---
bsd_comp: BSD Compatibility, don't need this

> dummy (guess I need this)
> ppp (default, but needed anyway)
Yes, yes

> I also need the driver for my 3Com ethernet card.
The 3Com Cards are located where it should be, in the 10/100 MBit ehernet cards ( hope you're using menuconfig, lot'easier)

> Can you let me know which of the above I need, which I don't and if I
> need any others?
You also need IPMasq and IPFiltering, but use the menuconfig everything gets easier there.

> Then, which packages do I need?  I have installed ipmasq, diald and a
> whole raft of other packages for which the default is to install.  Can I
> dispense with any?  If this is going over old ground and the answer is
> buried in the archive somewhere feel free to point me in the direction
> of the URL.
>
> While I am on the subject of packages does anyone have any advice about
> setting up exim (or point me in the direction of any advice on the
> net)?.  I am not even entirely sure I know what exim does.
>
> My debian box currently has a 500MB HD but I have a 100MB HD kicking
> around at home.  Will a functional FW set-up fit into 100MB?
Basically the only package you need is ipmaq and ipchains and the base system, should fit easially on a 100 MB'r.

Hope it helps, and please correct me if i'm wrong

--

Best Regards / Venlig Hilsen
	Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen