apt-get: "E: Could not perform immediate configuration" in emsandbox-generated rootfs

Hi!

I'm trying to get a rootfs for an arm board. Both debootstrap (debootstrap
--arch arm lenny lenny_root http://ftp.debian.org/debian/) and emsandbox (
emsandbox -a arch -S lenny create) produce rootfses with somewhat broken
package manager:
(running on target in chroot)
/ # apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
53 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration (1) on libc6

What am I doing wrong?

I've also tried QEMU/debootstrap approach described in
http://wiki.debian.org/EmDebian/CrossDebootstrap, but
http://wiki.debian.org/QemuUserEmulation seems to be
outdated - qemu is now 0.9.1 in lenny, patches do not apply, etc...
Does anyone watch that page?
My current qemu is quite old (0.8.2) and fails with 'Unsupported syscall: 983045'
message (google says qemu needs to be updated because of an EABI) =(
I'd like to update it in emdebian way =)