Re: [OT] Programing of "usbhid-ups" Devices

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:15:39PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> At many new USB Devices (in my case a PDU - Power Device Unit) they  are
> using more in more "usbhid".  Now I want to setup  some  of  my  devices
> with Microcontrollers and USB device controllers, which I  want  to  use
> over "usbhid".

AFAICS devices these days seem to be using HID because it means they
can get away without requiring custom kernel-mode drivers on
Windows. This lets them avoid a huge support headache.

Of course if the device connects only to Linux and MacOSX then you
don't necessarily need a kernel-mode driver anyway so this necessity
goes away.

> Does anyone know, where I can get Specifications (anything about it  and
> not only PDU/UPS) or can tell me how I can code it?  (I can not  imagine
> that it is only text/plain over USB.  It  seems  the  protocol  is  more
> complex)

http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage/

It's certainly not a trivial protocol in my experience.

HTH.