dpkg-cross triage

I've reviewed the dpkg-cross bugs:

233822 : This is becoming a common cross-building bug that has a
package specific fix described here:
http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianGuide
(Anyone know how to specify sections of a debian wiki page in a URL?)
See dh_shlibdeps errors). i.e. this is a package error, not a
dpkg-cross error IMHO. I'm considering closing this bug report.

110639 : I agree with the reply to this report - with no feedback from
the submitter it would appear that dpkg-cross did the right thing and
this bug report could also be closed.

426333 : The fix reported in the report looks OK - Zumbi hit this bug
recently and it affects more than the specific package mentioned in
this report, it affects any package containing a symlink of the form:
./path/foo -> .
The fix has been applied to current CVS, if anyone wants to test it.

384831 : Would appear to have been fixed by other means in the interim.

379597 : Appears to have been fixed by adding the -X option to >= 1.38.

379595 : Appears to be the same issue as 379597 with the same fix
already in place.

416437 : simple typo. Fixed in CVS.

That makes 7 bugs (out of 16) that appear to have trivial fixes or to
already have been fixed. I propose to make these changes this weekend
and close these 7 bugs this weekend with the upload of 1.39

430507 : I'm thinking that I'll do some tests with the above fixes
before applying the final patch from this report, then redo some tests
and ensure that a few Emdebian packages build sensibly before adding
this one to the list of fixes.

I think it is possible that fixing 430507 would also fix 72405 (which
dates from Sep 2000) and possibly 115247 (Oct 2001).

For this reason, I'm considering:
1. Upload 1.39 to unstable this weekend with no more than the current
CVS to close the first 7 bugs above.
2. Upload 1.40 to experimental next week, containing the fix for 430507
and see if the changes really suit 72405 and 115247, possibly checking
whether the sum of the changes provides a solution for 284275 too.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=dpkg-cross

If all that works, dpkg-cross would be left with:

dpkg-cross: Header file which does not end '.h' (perl cross-build)
(is that really 'Important'?)

dpkg-cross: shlibs must also search /usr/$libpath

dpkg-cross should also handle /usr/lib/ldscripts

dpkg-buildpackage -S is confused by other-arch changes file.

Merge dpkg-shlibdeps into dpkg

--

Neil Williams