Re: Wiki: Hardware support and Emdebian Progress pages

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 05:28:25PM +0100, Philippe De Swert wrote:

>I already added some extra stuff. A good thing would be a common development
>platform that is not to expensive. If somebody has an idea, please step forward.

For those who want to glance at small systems in private, let me suggest
simulators -- be they instruction-set emulators like the wonderful
plex86 stemmed from bochs or tools perusing other strategies like e.g.
[[www.user-mode-linux.org][uml]].

Setups like those have the advantage to be affordable, i.e. you do not
have to pay for hardware from your own pocket.

If you feel comfortable with your setup, you could easily get real
hardware to run on. It shouldn't be too hard to switch the architecture
in this step (see e.g. [[linux.bytesex.org/cross-compiler.html][kraxel's
cross-compiler mini-HowTo]]).

>I have seen this, which looks pretty interesting and is not to expensive:
>http://www.gumstix.com/
>
>Of course I wonder about the level of support we can get in case if troubles.
>If anybody has experience with this one let me know.

Abovementiont tools are provided as (GPL'ed) source, so support should
be no concern.

HTH