Re: [rant] Re: Consequences of moving Emacs Manuals to non-free

On 23 Mar 2006, Sven Joachim uttered the following:

> Ben Pfaff wrote:
>> I just downloaded make 3.80 from ftp.gnu.org, and you appear to be
>> wrong about that.  Here is an excerpt from make.texi: Permission is
>> granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the
>> terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1 or any
>> later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with the
>> Invariant Sections being ``GNU General Public License'', the
>> Front-Cover Texts being ``A GNU Manual'', and with the Back-Cover
>> Texts being as in
>> (a) below.  A copy of the license is included in the section entitled
>> ``GNU Free Documentation License''.
>> Front-cover and back-cover texts are invariant.
>
> This does not match what I saw in /usr/share/info/make.info.gz from
> the Debian package, version 3.80+3.81.rc1-1:

        The info file is a derived file; the source is make.texi. The
 preferred form for modification is the texi file, which is non free.

        So the fact that the info files produced from the non-free
 sources happen to be free is irrelevant; since the source .texi file
 can not be in Debian.

        manoj
--
When Marriage is Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have Inlaws.