Re: Xemacs needs help

Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:
> > RC bugs prevent packages to enter testing.
>
> And that's an ugly kludge that should be used minimally and only
> temporarily (again IMO).

Huh?  It's pretty fundamental to the way the entire system works...

You _can't_ determine whether something is ready for testing/stable
unless it's been tested by a wide audience -- which is what unstable is
for.

Of course, I think most people agree that you shouldn't put bug-ridden
packages into unstable -- you're not going to learn much, and you'll
probably do more harm than good (unless the old version is even _more_
bug-ridden :-) -- however there's clearly a lot of latitude for putting
in packages which _seem_ to work well, but which you're not entirely
sure about.

As always, it's a judgement call, but so far DDs seem to have have done
a good job.

-Miles
--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'