Problem with koi8-r encodings in MULE XEmacs

Hello, ALL!

I faced with following difficuties with xemacs (MULE 21.4.8): I can not
normally view some documents in koi8-r encodings. Some documents I see, as I
expect ---with russian text inside, others --- with accented latin letters.
When I manually change coding system of a buffer to koi8-r encoding and save
document, the document view changes drastically: where I expect russian
letters, I see the sequences with \201 in start. In other editors and viewers
those documents I see, as I expect: with russian text inside.

I read a documentation and failed to find the answer, how to change the
codeset of the document and to prevent xemacs doing autodetermination of the
encoding of the document.

So the question is: what is the valid procedure of codeset defining in the
document, if xemacs fails to do do this in correct way automatically?

If there is a documentation about questions above, please tell me which manual
should I read.

--

Best regards,

Artem Ayupov			mailto: artem@catalysis.nsk.su