Re: emacsen-common: re-compilation of depends packages is not needed.

***** RB => Rob Browning

[...]

RB> I'm probably missing something...

Yes, I try and explain myself better than what I did (I'm not so
fluent in English as I'd rather to be).

The current situation is: when an Emacs (add-on) package is installed,
it's postinst waits for the byte-compilation to be completed before
returning control to dpkg, thus stopping further packages processing
until the time consuming compilation is done.  As an example, if I
upgrade mailcrypt and bash at the same time, bash currently has to
wait for the mailcrypt byte-compilation to be finished before being
unpacked and processed, while it really has no need.

The proposed situation would be: when an Emacs (add-on) package is
installed, it's postinst run the byte-compilation in background (á la
update-menus), thus returning control to dpkg, allowing for further
packages processing to go ahead, at least until dpkg is passed some
package which does need to wait for that byte-compilation to be
completed.

Thinking twice about this idea, however, I realize that the current
situation wouldn't be so bad if every package used debconf if needed
(i.e., if there wasn't any prompting in postinst): what really sucks
is to have to wait in front of your computer waiting for the next
question to be asked, instead of being able to let it do the upgrade
without bothering to much.

Regards,

--
Davide G. M. Salvetti - IW5DZC [JN53fr] - <http://www.linux.it/%7Esalve/>